Thursday, October 6, 2011

Write My Own

(First of all, my apologies to the internet. I have absolutely no creative writing training, and I didn't even begin to revise this. The rhyme and meter are pretty painful. Anyhow, may I present...)

I'll Write My Own Goddamn Poem
by Marie

The loss of the dream leaves nothing the same.
-Langston Hughes

16 months of history, 12 days later.
I'm okay, 'though I've felt better.
I just have the urge to hear your voice,
even if I know we made the right choice.

I broke my own heart, too, you know.
Last year I needed to take it slow.
This time we had no choice - 3 years!
Plenty of time, right, to conquer our fears.
I had you and you were everything;
I'd already plugged you into my dream.
You were nervous but you didn't complain -
I never considered you might not be game.
Kids, piano lessons, soccer practice, picket fence;
I couldn't wait for all that with my prince.
I love you and I know my dream was twofold:
to have kids, and have you, to have and to hold.
You were unsure, but so what, we had time
(not that my "plan" was that you'd change your mind...)

Easily avoided, but then not anymore;
you saw me with kids and you knew I'd want more.
I saw you see me and my hope disappeared.
You just don't want that, it was instantly clear.
Impasse achieved, what choice could we make?
Forsaking a dream would be a mistake.

Such different priorities cannot align,
yet I still want to think that you'll always be mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment