Sunday, August 30, 2009

Should I write a book?

So, my ambitions as a writer passed away years ago, but I've lately been possessed with a passion, perhaps derived from nothing more than boredom,* to write a book. Not fiction (I never learned to write fiction), but instead the height of self-centeredness: a memoir. Who cares, right? I'm a 22-year-old chick no different from bazillions of other recent liberal arts grads from a middle-class background. Well, I can write pretty well, I think, and I'm pretty funny, plus this is my working title:
DAMN: A Young Woman's Reckoning with Tourette Syndrome

I would so read that. LMAO.

the question, though, is would I WRITE it. I do not have a history of being able to motivate myself for, well, anything...but I already have a scratch outline! But it'll require a lot of research...lol. We'll see. it could be fun. even if no one but y'all ever read it. hahaha.

*A discussion with my aunt a few weeks ago helped spark this. She was telling me about a professor in Denver who has autism and has written about having autism. I was saying that I didn't think I could speak for TS because my case was so mild, but my aunt thought this was baloney. My experience is perfectly valid. Sensational cases are the exception; there are lots of people going through something mild just like me.

1 comment: